Friday, November 28, 2008

There is no endzone

I'm sure everyone's done it. There's someone in the endzone and they are all you can see. You put up a risky pass and cause a turnover. There is no way you would have thrown that pass if the target hadn't been in the endzone, but it's just so enticing.

My team last mixed season suffered from this quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure I was one of the culprits. Why is a pass that scores so much more attractive than one that doesn't? Essentially, they are exactly the same action. I would love to see a turnover graph, where the position of each turnover is mapped out onto a field. I think there would be a massive collection near the endzones.

Imagine ultimate without an endzone. I think play would progress so much more easily. I have an idea for a practice game where we play on a field without endzones. You simply work the disc up the field and the winner is called at timecap as the team that's on their side of the start point.

I am, of course, discrediting the effects that an endzone has on defence, but I still think it would be a good exercise in focusing on disc movement without trying to score. Probably wouldn't be bad for fitness either with no breaks between points or for half.

Just need to find a field long enough...

Richie: Do not try and throw into the endzone. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Richie: There is no endzone.
Neo: There is no endzone?
Richie: Then you'll see, that it is not endzone that scores, it is only yourself.

No comments: